...give thanks to the LORD, call on his name; make known among the nations what he has done... isaiah 12:4

....................................................................................................................................

Saturday, May 25, 2013

Allergy Testing

After Grayson's endoscopies two weeks ago, his biopsies came back positive for eosinophils, indicating an allergic reaction in the esophagus and leading to a diagnosis of Eosinophilic Esophagitis.  He was negative for lactose intolerance and Celiac Disease so we were referred to Dr. Rose at the Arizona Allergy and Asthma Institute for further allergy testing.  Grayson was also immediately started on a Flovent steroid inhaler that he is to swallow (instead of inhale) to reduce inflammation, in addition to Prevacid which we started up again for his acid reflux following the endoscopies.

On Monday Grayson and I visited the AAAI and after a consult, underwent a standard prick test on his back for 27 potential allergens.  He was found to be immediately allergic to peaches and shell-fish but neither of those were particularly helpful finds since he doesn't eat either regularly and they can't account for his significant amounts of inflammation and erosion.

The Prick Test.

Of course that meant not one, but three more visits to their office this week to do something called a patch test.  The patch test checks for latent reactions to allergens and we honed in on some of the more likely culprits for this test.  A patch is fitted with numerous tiny pouches of pureed food or liquids and affixed to the patients back for 48 hours, putting those substances in direct contact with the skin.  Once the patch is removed, they wait 15 minutes and take the first reading to record the skin's reaction to the substances after the first 48 hours.

The Patch Test.

I was praying that this test would be successful and offer us some answers but I wasn't quite prepared for this level of 'success'.  At the first reading on Thursday, Grayson showed irritation for 6-7 new allergens.  Cue punch in the gut.


Grayson's back after the first 48 hour check.

After a sleepless, itchy night, on Friday we went in for the 72 hour check and the final read.  The results indicated allergies to corn (the strongest reaction), soy, wheat and avocado, and then 'irritation' to milk, oats and turkey.  I was shocked to find out he was allergic and/or sensitive to so many foods and honestly felt overwhelmed and helpless.  My biggest concern was not only the task of filling his nutritional needs with foods he could eat but fear that he might be allergic to even more things that we didn't even test for.

Top left circle is the reaction to corn after 72 hours.

Our appointment with the doctor to go over his results isn't until next Wednesday so in the meantime we've switched him from soy formula to almond milk (thankfully this transition has been smooth in the last 24 hours), and I scoured the gluten free selections at the grocery store to give him a few options until we know which of these allergens we need to avoid permanently.  We know strawberries, blueberries, applesauce and grapes are safe so they will be completing his diet for the next few days.  I am hopeful that we won't need to avoid all of these foods long-term or do further testing but there is that possibility.

I know that I am not the first mom to go through this and I also know that there are much worse things to face with your children.  However, anxiety and worry still grip my heart and my desires for complete health and comfort for my baby come with the territory.  In the light of the morning I am feeling more at peace but there is still an unshakeable uneasiness with the lack of certainty about every food that is causing irritation.  I find myself wanting to woo control into my keeping but alas, it is not mine.  I have been comforted in knowing that our God knows this little boy's body and I can trust him to provide wisdom and healing.

For I am the Lord your God
who takes hold of your right hand
and says to you, Do not fear;
I will help you.
Isaiah 41:13


No comments: