...give thanks to the LORD, call on his name; make known among the nations what he has done... isaiah 12:4

....................................................................................................................................

Monday, December 6, 2010

and now we're down to one.

Today marks a big day in the life of Ava and mommy. Today is the first day I've made the intentional switch down to one nap for my baby! It was a hard decision, Ava has always slept well and more than the average child, but for the past few weeks naps have been a real struggle. I chalked it up to her being sick (which I'm sure was the instigator back in October), teething, traveling, you name it. But, after trying every other method to get her back on track with her two naps, I've decided it's time!

This transition has been a hard one for me to give in to, for reasons of a changing schedule and having to make more sacrifices with my time, but also because big girls take one nap. If my baby is taking one nap... that means she's a pretty big girl. It's a hard change for me to swallow for some reason but I'm adjusting. Granted, this is only day one (and she's done very well with it), but it's been a gradual mental transition for me as I've had to accept what was coming.

As we enter this new stage, I have to remember the overwhelming transitions of the past--starting solid food, weening, dropping other naps and shifting schedules to accommodate her expanding awake times--and how comfortable I am now with those changes. It's amazing how far we've come! Though this is, once again, another change, I am also excited about what this will open up for us. For the first time since birth Ava will be awake for a long enough stretch of time that we might actually be able to DO something! Swimming lessons, art classes, longer play dates... the opportunities are endless. Moms you are probably laughing but with a good sleeper and a mom who won't sacrifice naps comes a LOT of time at home! So I say, bring on the activity!

1 comment:

Erin and Jonathan said...

Lets get our girls in swim lessons together!! How much fun!

You're an amazing mommy Kathryn and you have sacrificed a lot!! I just love your friendship and I'm so thankful to be a part of this journey with you and Miss Ava Grace!