...give thanks to the LORD, call on his name; make known among the nations what he has done... isaiah 12:4

....................................................................................................................................

Sunday, January 15, 2012

To Labor or Not

For a few weeks now I've been pretty ready to get this baby out.  Though, last night when that dream became a real possibility, I suddenly found myself keenly aware of what it might mean to have a baby 7 weeks early, and heard myself thinking, "Oh, God, please not yet!"

Around 12am I was lying in bed and started having some pretty strong cramping--strong enough to keep me awake.  It wasn't coming and going in regular intervals but was pretty steady with some very painful peaks every few minutes.  I decided to get out of bed and join Blair who was still awake upstairs.  While sitting down, I started to have Braxton Hicks contractions every 2 1/2 - 3 minutes which continued to be accompanied by some painful cramping.  We timed these for about an hour before I started to walk around and stretch.  This helped to lengthen the time between the contractions and at times lessen the cramping, solidifying that this was in fact a false labor.  The cramping and contracting kept me up for a total of four exhausting hours, reminding me of the excitement and hard work that is labor.  Maybe I can wait a little while longer!

All this to say, Blair and I are officially motivated now to actually go buy a package of newborn diapers, dust off the bassinet and get going on all of our other pre-baby to-do's.

1 comment:

Erin and Jonathan said...

So thankful it was indeed false labor!!! :( Praying that these next few weeks your body relaxes and allows you to get some much needed rest and sleep!! Love you and that precious little boy you're carrying... let's stay in there a little longer little guy!!