...give thanks to the LORD, call on his name; make known among the nations what he has done... isaiah 12:4

....................................................................................................................................

Monday, April 18, 2011

Potty Training Boot Camp Day #2

Today was a huge success and I'm still in awe of how well Ava has been doing through potty boot camp.  First thing when she woke up we took off her diaper--she fussed for a new one but when I told her she could pick out a pair of pretty panties to wear she excitedly forgot about her diaper-wearing past.

Throughout the day Ava only had one accident while in her high chair for lunch.  Otherwise she did exceptionally well, initiating almost all of her potty goings.  She is going very frequently (sometimes ten minutes apart, sometimes up to an hour) as she is still used to being able to empty her bladder much more freely in her diaper at the slightest twinge of needing to go.  Already in two days though I am seeing this time expand and expect it to continue to as she learns to hold it longer.  We are so proud of her!

An update on the treat situation
 As I stated yesterday I was skeptical about how Ava would do when I told her she wasn't going to get anymore treats for going on the potty.  Surprisingly it went much better than I expected!  After only a day she is already into the routine and starting to feel like going on the potty is the new 'normal', therefore not asking for treats each time.  Occasionally she did but I was able to get her excited about writing down each time she went (a helpful tool for myself) and that seemed treat enough.  The book also suggests doing a sticker chart type of reward for more stubborn goers.  I did give her a small edible treat maybe twice during the day when she really needed the extra encouragement but I have high hopes that this reward system will soon be a thing of the past as well.

No comments: