...give thanks to the LORD, call on his name; make known among the nations what he has done... isaiah 12:4

....................................................................................................................................

Friday, September 23, 2011

2 1/2

Ava had her 2 1/2 year appointment with the doctor on Wednesday and is doing well.  Thankfully her lungs are sounding much better and her cold has subsided.  Ava's height and weight came in at 36 in (60something%) and 35 lbs (99%), confirming the rolly polly stage we thought she was in!  At her last visit the percentiles were switched and even though she's growing 'thick' as the doctor put it, thankfully he didn't seem concerned.  He is happy with her healthy diet and said it could be due to her quiet nature and the amount of exercise she is getting compared to her 2 1/2 year old counterparts.

That was all I needed to hear to spur me on towards plans for an active winter.  I already have been researching all the indoor toddler activities in our area, both for exercise sake, my own sanity and to thoroughly enjoy this time as a mother of one.  This week already we've gone swimming and to a toddler play time offered by the YMCA and it's been wonderful!  I have to encourage this little snuggling wall flower to dance when the music plays and run when there's a place to do so, but she loves using up energy once she gets going.

Despite her tendency to be the least rambunctious kid in the room, Ava is extremely social, loves to talk and makes friends everywhere she goes.  This summer we made the switch to a new church and with that decided to do whatever it took to get Ava to stay in Sunday School for the whole service.  After she and I both left bawling the first Sunday we tried (she was terrified and I'm hormonal), I thought this effort might take months.  But, the next Sunday she stayed for about twenty minutes, crying the whole time but at least staying in there alone, and last week she successfully stayed in her class for the whole service!  This was a HUGE victory for us as 1) Blair and I have never sat through a whole church service alone since we had Ava and 2) Ava has been incredibly clingy and adamantly opposed to being left apart from us since I got pregnant.  This gives me a lot of hope for the months to come.  The best part was watching her wave goodbye to all her new friends when we left and walk the halls like a 5th grader who owned the place.  Confidence is priceless!

Lastly, these recent months have been unfortunately marked by Ava's disobedience and unforeseen entrance into the terrible part of the twos.  It is a huge challenge for me but I keep the perspective that the learning during this time is crucial for both of us and in many ways developmentally exciting.  Though the process is exhausting, I relish the opportunity to shape and grow her little stubborn will and guide her in the way she should go.  Now that I am feeling a little bit better into the second trimester, I feel more capable of handling the immense amount of energy that she requires every day!  Ava's sleeping habits have continued to falter since the onset of my pregnancy and she is often sleeping from about 8:30 or 9pm until only 6 or 6:30am and then taking a short nap in the afternoon, sometimes for only 45 minutes or less.  This is leaving her (and me) exhausted and truly unable to control herself at times.  I'm praying that all of these issues will begin to work themselves out soon!

Despite all the challenges, 2 1/2 is also proving to be a really fun age and I love watching this little girl grow and learn.  She is so smart and thoughtful and quirky, I can only sit on the edge of my chair, waiting to see what she'll do next and what each new month will bring!

No comments: