...give thanks to the LORD, call on his name; make known among the nations what he has done... isaiah 12:4

....................................................................................................................................

Thursday, October 20, 2011

Ultrasound


This little blurry bundle is our baby-to-be.  We had an a great ultrasound and in some ways I enjoyed not finding out the gender right then and there (let me add a side note: we've decided not to find out until the reveal party on Saturday with our friends and family).  It allowed me to concentrate on each, 'it has two arms and two legs' and 'the kidneys and stomach are functioning properly' instead of lying there thinking, 'it's a girl!!' which is what I primarily remember from Ava's 20 week ultrasound.

The only part that was pretty uncomfortable for me was the measuring of the cervix which they have to do first, while your already squeezed bladder is full.  The tech got her magic wand down there and said, 'Woah, this baby's head is right up against the cervix'... I could have told her that.  He or she was so stubbornly pressed as low as a baby can go that the tech had to push and dig to get a worthy measurement, both of my cervix and of the baby's poor head.  Even with all the prodding it wouldn't budge and I can assure you hasn't lifted since.

Other than that, the ultrasound was amazing and I loved every moment.  We got to see the baby swallow twice and got to see it move its arms and hands in real-time.  By far the most special moment for me was when the tech scanned the front of the baby's face (it was facing up as opposed to curled on it's side like Ava was) and I got an almost 3D looking view of it's hand over it's eyes, it's cute button nose and big pouty lips.  What a treasure!  I will cherish that moment from now until I get to kiss those lips in person!

Unfortunately, a fun morning didn't mean a fun afternoon for me.  I've been feeling more and more tired the last couple of days and after lunch I took a long nap.  When I woke up I had a LOT of pressure in my legs and felt as if someone had tied a tourniquet around both my thighs and my legs might burst at any moment.  I called the doctor and she didn't seem too alarmed which was good, but I have continued to feel pretty lousy, exhausted and have a lot of pain and pressure from the hips down.  It is most likely due to the baby's placement as well as my body not holding everything in place as tightly as it did the first time around.  But, I am still feeling even more uncomfortable than I did with Ava in the last weeks of pregnancy and it's a little overwhelming to imagine 20 more weeks of this.

Please pray with us that this pain and pressure will not continue until March!  Also pray for endurance and a spirit of hope and strength for me.  The last couple of weeks I've felt a physical decline and in general feel like my body is not handling this pregnancy very well.  I am praying hard against discouragement and also that Ava would react well if this is the lot we get for next couple of months.

Thank you!  Stay tuned on Saturday for the big reveal!

2 comments:

Erin and Jonathan said...

What a beautiful baby! We are so excited for you three! Love you and praying **

Maryn Forney said...

the photos of you and ava are ADORABLE. we totally need to do a shoot with you guys. it is no longer an option. : )